- Boards & Commissions
- Building & Standards Commission
Building & Standards Commission
Meetings: Meets third Thursday of each month (or as called)
Appointment Terms: 2 years
Number of Members: 5 members + 4 alternates
- Jerry Henderson (term expires May 2023)
- Jock Conner (term expires May 2023)
- Jess Cason (term expires May 2024)
- Tommy Robinson (term expires May 2024)
- Lauri Johnson (term expires May 2023)
- Michael Blake, Alternate (term expires May 2023)
The Building and Standards Commission:
- Establishes minimum standards for the construction, use, maintenance, and occupancy of all structures, regardless of date of construction, within the city limits of the city of Gainesville
- Establishes minimum standards governing utilities, facilities, and other physical components and conditions essential to make all buildings and structures safe, sanitary, and fit for human habitation
- Fixes certain responsibilities and duties of owners, operators, agents, and occupants of all buildings
- Authorizes and establishes procedures for the inspection of all buildings unfit for human use, occupancy, and habitation
- Establishes procedures for determining whether a building complies with the standards established
- Includes provisions for notice and a public hearing
- Provides for assessment, a method of notifying the owner of assessment, and a method of recovering expenses incurred by the city in vacating, securing, removing, repairing, or demolishing a substandard structure
Cases shall be brought before the Commission by the Building Official who may be assisted by the City Attorney.
View agendas for the Building and Standards Commission.
View minutes for the Building and Standards Commission.