Code Enforcement Process
Code Enforcement cases can begin in a number of different ways. City Code Enforcement Officers have designated areas they patrol on a weekly basis. However, complaints are often called into the Department by a citizen. Complaints may remain anonymous or they may leave a name and number so they can be contacted in the future. To call in a complaint, please call (940) 668-4799.
General Outline of Case Progression
Case progression can vary depending upon the nature of the violation or a number of variables.
- A complaint is received by the Department.
- An inspection is performed to verify that a violation exists on the property.
- The property owner is then notified that a violation(s) exists and is given a reasonable period of time in which to correct the violation(s).
- A follow-up inspection is performed to verify that the violation(s) has been corrected.
- If compliance has not been achieved, a hearing notice to appear before the Building and Standards Commission will be issued.
- Once a hearing notice has been presented, the case is turned over to the Building and Standards Commission. The Commission will hear the case and may issue an order for compliance. Additionally, the Board has the authority to issue a civil penalty to the responsible party.
- If compliance is not achieved, violation(s) will be abated by the City and a lien in the amount equal to time, labor, and administrative fees will be filed against the property.