Citizen Fire Academy
Are you interested in learning more about what it's like to be a Firefighter?
Gainesville Fire-Rescue proudly announces that we are now offering the opportunity for citizens to get a unique look at the inner workings of the fire department by hosting our first class of the GF-R Citizens Fire Academy (CFA).
Designed for adults to learn more about how Gainesville Fire-Rescue is organized and operates, The Citizens Fire Academy is an eight-week class that meets one night a week a the Steven K. Fleming Public Safety Building located at 201 Santa Fe. CFA participants learn about a different aspect of Gainesville Fire Rescue, ranging from fire-ground operations, Special Rescue Operations, to CPR certification training.
For more information, contact the Division Chief of Training and Public Education Jeffrey Stevens at (940)668-5734. The course application is required and due March 15 by 5:00 pm:
You may return via email to email@example.com, mail or in person to 201 Santa Fe, Gainesville, TX 76240.
Classes are scheduled for Tuesday evenings from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm and will begin Tuesday, April 23, 2019. Class size is limited to 15 participants with the first 15 approved applications selected.
What topics are covered?
· Welcome and Introduction of CFA Participants,General Information and overview of Gainesville Fire-Rescue
· Department Hiring,Training and Continued Education; Demonstration of Physical Ability Test
· Apparatus and Equipment Demonstration; Aerial Ladder Climb/Engine Driving
· Explanation of First Responder Program; CPR Certification
· Special Rescue Operations; Swift Water/Rope Rescue/ Confined Space/ Vehicle Extrication
· Fire Prevention and Fire Investigation; Home Fire Safety/Fire Extinguisher Training
· Public Fire and Life Safety Education
· Fire Ground Operations/SCBA Confidence Maze
· Graduation Celebration
The Citizens Fire Academy shows citizens how the Gainesville Fire Department operates. We hope a better understanding of how your Fire Department works will improve the relationship between citizens and firefighters.
Who may attend?
The Citizens Fire Academy (CFA) is open to persons 18 years of age and older who either live or work in the City of Gainesville. The academy is free.