Certificate of Occupancy
A Certificate of Occupancy is required of all commercial establishments and must be applied for prior to occupancy of the space. A new certificate is required in all such instances: a business is relocated, occupancy type or use is changed, the name of a business is changed, or ownership is changed. Ownership changes include selling the businesses to another sole proprietor, selling the business to another franchisee, or selling the business to another corporate entity, Certificates of Occupancy are not transferable from one person to another or from one entity to another. It is highly recommended that each applicant contact the Community Development Department to verify zoning prior to completing this application and the required attachments.
List of most frequently items observed by Inspectors is provided below for your information.
- Suite number on front of suite and building address numbers posted on front of building facing the street in contrasting colors.
- Address on electrical service meter.
- Handicap accessible restrooms (grab bars & under sink protection, etc..)
- Backflow protection (vacuum breakers on hose bibs, etc..)
- Electrical cords not allowed through ceiling grid/tiles.
- Exit lights must be operational.
- Emergency backup lights must be working.
- Thumb latch on locks or code compliant signage on exit doors (Panic hardware, lever hardware, no bar lock, etc..)
- Post occupant load signs (assembly uses only).
- Mechanical violations (unsafe conditions)
- Electrical violations (unsafe conditions)
- Plumbing violations (unsafe conditions)
- Building violations (unsafe conditions)